Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's official

The pundits have been debating it for months now, but I knew it was official when my neighbor got let go from his well paying job at the big brokerage outfit - the recession has arrived. I've been hearing more and more stories of layoffs, and certainly I'm experiencing sticker shock at the pumps, but I still do not see much real pain. No behavioral change at all. Just as many cars on the road, all driving like ass. Long lines at movies and restaurants. Maybe a few more months and it will sink in. The election results may shock a few Americans into paying attention. (By the way, how come when some relatively small % of white people vote for Hil, because she's white, that's problematic racism, but when 90% of black people vote for Obama, that's sensible behavior? )

I've been driving alot lately, so buying gas frequently. A few weeks back, as I turned to pay the attandant, I saw that the price was 3.299... and while I kept a poker face, I was pissed. I could not believe that somehow I got suckered into one of those situations where all the stations are chaging like 2.89, but somehow I pulled in to the crazy expensive one. I drove out of there, embarassed, but now I was going to be more careful. I was relieved, later that evening, when I saw that gas was at least 3.29 everywhere, even the cheap station. At least if I'm getting robbed, everyone else is too. And besides, it's over 3.50 now...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has generated no buzz whatsoever. We need Steve at his most Stevesque. And granted, a dull posting does kind of fit the bill, but not quite enough. Bring more to the table!

5/29/2008 5:38 PM  
Blogger Al DePantsdowno said...

Is it really that difficult to write something weekly? Dave writes a friggin' entry every day for crissake!

http://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/

6/03/2008 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google