Saturday, March 04, 2006

This Old Car

As you might have guessed, I'm an advocate of buying used cars, letting the other guy take the hit on depreciation. My daily driver is a 1995 model, which I acquired in late '96 for less than ten grand. At this point, I budget about a thousand a year for repairs and maintenance, and usually come in under budget. Now it's got some kind of issue involving intermittent leaking coolant. Great. I brought it to the shop when I first saw the problem, their pressure testing confirmed the radiator was ok, so they replaced all the hoses and clamps. Came in under 200 bucks - but a week later, it's leaking again, just a puddle smaller than a compact disc, and not every day, in the morning under the radiator. Very frustrating, but highlights the trick to the used car game - at some point you have to move on.

I'm not making that call just yet, but I am at 120k miles, and may need to figure out whether the time is near....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you are really getting at, philosophically, is the nature of the Put-In Factor. Your readers need to understand that the PIF is an integral part of the Bang It Out And Paint It way of life. The PIF needs to be acknowledged. The PIF will not fade away. And the PIF manifests itself through one's car, marriage and children.

3/13/2006 1:37 PM  
Blogger Al DePantsdowno said...

This discussion reminds me of the Arab's Agreement. Making concessions only guarantees unhappiness. Only by taking what you need will you find true pleasure.

5/19/2006 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google