Thursday, April 27, 2006

Second prize is a set of steak knives

The Baldwin 'Leads are Weak' speech from "Glengarry GlenRoss" is that good. If you've ever had a sales job, you should check out this film.

My first job out of college was as a stockbroker - 300 phone calls a day, hoping to yield eight to ten prospects. Every month end, try to pitch 'em a stock of the month. Worst. Job. Ever. The only guys who succeeded were salesman from appliance stores or crooks. I quit after a few months, and worked construction from May till year end just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Interestingly, many of those guys eventually got bagged - I worked with five of the guys noted on this link. Considering how much money these characters grifted over the years, the fines are ridiculously small.

The McDermott brothers were darn good high school wrestlers - but you should not have bought stock from them!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...it's May 8th today and I need some wisdom to read.

This posting was completed almost 2 weeks ago.

I give you a few ideas. If Brazil is an entire country that is not oil dependent anymore, then Why can't the United States follow suit.

Why are American Automakers having record profits in South America but still don't offer FLEX fuel vehicles in the United states that run on Gas or Ethanol?

It just goes to show you, no matter what idiot is running the show, we end up screwed.

5/08/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

My apologies for the gap between posts - Inspiration has been hard to come by and allergies have me down. Thanks for reading and contributing your thoughts!

I think the ethanol discussion is interesting. I'm sure a significant dent in fuel consumption could result if it's implemented properly. For instance, why not focus on building/converting big oil-burning powerplants to ethanol? Less of a PR challenge, less of a logistical challenge, and potential for big consumption savings in one fell swoop. You could process and burn the ethanol in the same plant, conceivably.

I recall Ford selling a number of flex fuel equipped Taurus and Escape models in the US over the past 5 or 6 years, though I'm not sure that the fuel is widespread enough to fully utilize. And what about diesel? And how about the hydraulic hybrids being developed? So many alternatives- I'm sure the market will sort it out, with some pain for the losers, some riches for the winners. Aaaahhhh capitalism!

Any time I think about ethanol, I start to grin, thinking about Snuffy Smith and Hawkeye Pierce, and how they never had a problem brewing enough for their needs!

5/08/2006 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google